Thursday 6 October 2011

Flavia of the week

I have just finished reading a book I picked up at a Bookcrossing cafe.  Bookcrossing is a great idea, it is a bit like a roaming library: at registered locations people leave books, you can pick them up and read them and then leave them at another (or the same) bookcrossing venue.  Books are registered on-line and if you want to you can track where and how far your book has travelled.  See http://www.bookcrossing.com/ for more info.



I would never have found this book otherwise: The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley.  It has a great cover and what a lovely title.  The heroine of the story is 11 year old Flavia, a chemist and amateur detective who solves a murder for which her father has been arrested.  Set in 1950's rural England, Flavia lives in the Georgian manorhouse of Buckshaw, with her reclusive father and 2 older sisters.  It was clever and very witty and in my view a great read for both adults and older children

The book reminded me of the 'A Series of Unfortunate Events' stories, which we all love in our house.  I couldn't put this book down and was delighted afterwards to find that since this book, the author has written another and another is due out soon.  Two more books to read.  I love it when I find a great new writer, it opens up a whole new, rich seam of pleasurable anticipation!

I couldn't help thinking as I read it that it would make a great film, perhaps it already has been made into a film?

2 comments:

  1. hi Alison

    Caroline from Patchwork Harmony here! You were a winner on my blog comp to win a 91 Magazine goodie bag! Can't find your email address, so leaving this comment!
    can you email me your address?
    thanks!
    Caroline
    patchwork{dot}harmony{at}gmail{dot}com

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh thanks! I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete